Tyron Woodley to work with ex-world champion to try to eliminate Jake Paul
Tyron Woodley has been offered some help by former world champion Andre Ward ahead of his next fight with Jake Paul.
Woodley, who was a feared UFC welterweight champion, opened his doors as a betting outsider for his 3-0 boxing debut against Paul, after losing his last four MMA fights.
But he has vowed to break the YouTube star’s jaw in a violent threat on Instagram Live, and says he will work with former super middleweight executive Ward in preparation for the August 28 showdown.
“Eric Brown, he’s been my boxing trainer forever,” Woodley told his fans on Instagram Live. “He’s going to be my second in chief, the number one guy at training camp.
“But I had a lot of other people reaching out to me – Andre Ward, my dog, reached out to me.
“I can’t miss the opportunity [to work with him], that would be an honor and a blessing. I will also find time to work with Andre Ward.
Woodley never boxed professionally but was considered one of the best forwards in the UFC and showed glimpses of his former abilities during his last outing against Vincente Luque in March.
And he admitted that he always wanted to take the 10-ounce gloves and take part in a boxing match, which was made possible after being kicked out of the UFC earlier this year.
“I’ve always wanted to box my whole life, but never did,” added Woodley. “I always wanted to box. I wanted to do this for a long time.
“It’s crazy how things go, I started doing MMA in 2005 because I was like ‘I’m too old to just box’ – I was 23 after varsity wrestling, so I does MMA. I’m like ‘s * **, I can wrestle and hit!’
The former UFC champion has vowed to break Paul’s jaw, after the internet star arrested close friend Ben Askren during his last boxing outing on April 18.
Tyron Woodley KO Jake Paul? Let us know in the comments below
“We’re going to break records, and I’m going to break some fucking shit’s jaw while I’m at it,” Woodley continued. “Get ready to make some fucking ****** history. We are breaking records.
No location has yet been announced for the bout, but fighters will need to weigh a maximum of 190 lbs, 10 lbs below the recognized cruising weight limit.
YouTube star Paul has racked up a 3-0 record so far in his professional career and recently signed a deal with Showtime Boxing in America, but Woodley will be the first legitimate threat he has faced to date.
The former UFC welterweight champion was renowned for both wrestling and stand-up in his MMA career and is still a feared contender despite losing his last four fights.
He won first prize in MMA by brutally knocking out famous forward Robbie Lawlor in 2016 and has defended his title four times against top forwards Stephen Thompson (twice) and Darren Till, as well as jiu-jitsu legend Demian Maia .
Woodley lost the belt in early 2019 to Kamaru Usman and has since lost to Gilbert Burns, Colby Covington and Vincente Luque, who are respectively ranked second, first and fifth in the division.